At Buehlers, you can easily enjoy low cost meals on a budget
Who needs to go to a local fast food restaurant when you can create a great meal for as low as four dollars or less? While heading in to Buehler’s for your next shopping trip, it’s important to understand healthy eating can be accomplished in a budget-friendly way!
Imagine doing it for four dollars or less per meal with a menu that will be full of great tasting nutritious food. Once you get in the groove of shopping with a meal budget and nutrition in mind, you’ll be surprised at the low-cost crowd-pleasers you can create. Think of the all-time favorite – chili. A basic pot of chili can be made for under two dollars per one cup serving. Sure, you will need to buy the seasonings, the beans, vegetables plus the ground beef to concoct this warm winter meal, but when you break down the cost of the ingredients per person, it adds up to a super yummy budget conscious meal that’s definitely under four dollars and perfect for lunch or dinner.
Here are some easy tips to becoming a budget-minded shopper with your favorite locally sourced foods:
- Take advantage of the best prices right now on locally produced food. Buckeye clamshell lettuce in the produce department is available all winter long and has a good shelf life. It’s stored in a special container that helps keep it fresh longer. Why not try roasting some locally produced Gerber chicken, it will warm your home with both wonderful smells and flavor – and don’t forget to use the leftovers for a great lunch or dinner salad. And, with that salad add one of our delicious homemade Market Deli soups to heat up your meal. Stock up on our delicious soup specials and you’ll always have a few on hand to add some comfort to any meal.
- Take advantage of local guides for growing seasons on spices and use them to shop for the best deals on seasonings that are available in the winter. We are offering locally sourced Buckeye Fresh basil this winter in our produce department (click here to view a spice guide). Spices truly make a difference in making a meal that will be extra tasty and memorable for everyone in the family.
- Don’t forget to shop our weekly deals from Buehler’s as well. Each week, new locally sourced items are on sale starting every Wednesday. The weekly circular can be your best friend as a shopping guide. It will help fill your cart with great food choices that will be easy on your pocketbook.
And, don’t forget to keep your eyes open for the deals on all the items you can buy in bulk. You’ll find yourself with a pantry that’s full of wonderful foods and other essentials, all at great prices. Plus, stocking up really pays off when the blustery weather hits, you’ll have everything you need at your fingertips!
#freshharvestmarket #buehlers #farmersmarket #organic
©2017 Baker Creative
Fettuccine with mushrooms* and basil recipe
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced – 1-½ cups. *(Can substitute best buy on any variety of mushrooms in the produce department!)
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces whole-wheat fettuccine, or spaghetti noodles (see Ingredient note)
- ½ cup chopped fresh locally sourced Buckeye Fresh basil, divided
- ½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, (1 ounce)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil for cooking pasta. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not browned, about 1 minute. Add mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender and lightly browned, 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in lemon zest, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. Meanwhile, cook pasta, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 9 to 11 minutes or according to package directions. Drain, reserving ½ cup cooking liquid. Add the pasta, the reserved cooking liquid, Parmesan and ¼ cup basil to the mushrooms in the skillet; toss to coat well. Serve immediately, garnished with remaining basil.
We hope everyone in the family enjoys these great recipes – we think they’re great crowd pleasers for all ages!