Consuming more plant-based foods is good for people and the planet!
If you’re wondering how to add more nutritious plant foods to your meals join Buehler’s Registered Dietitians for a virtual cook-along and learn how to make a delicious, Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend along with 2 simple recipes – Mexican Lasagna and Stuffed Burrito Peppers.
Below you will find the recipes and a shopping list of ingredients you will need to participate. Buehler’s will also be selling this “bundle” of ingredients at our stores April 11 – 17.
The Plant-Powered Cook-Along IS posted on our YouTube channel. Click the link below to access the video!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Cook Along!
Ingredient Shopping List:
1 medium yellow onion
2 large red bell peppers
8 oz. crimini mushrooms
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cans (15 oz.) BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (11oz.) yellow kernel corn, drained
16 yellow corn tortillas
1 package (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix, 25% less sodium
Light sour cream
2 cups shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
Instant brown rice
Here are the Recipes!
Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend
Make Once – Eat Twice! Blend yields approximately 8 cups which can be used in our Mexican Lasagna and Burrito Stuffed Peppers recipes below.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cans (15 oz.) BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained
- 1 package (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix, 25% less sodium
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (11oz.) yellow kernel corn, drained
- Pulse onion and mushrooms in food processor until coarse texture. Set aside.
- In large frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set ground beef aside in separate bowl.
- In same frying pan, heat oil. Add onions and mushrooms from food processor and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until most of the moisture has been released. Add the black beans and mix.
- Add the cooked ground beef, taco seasoning, crushed tomatoes and corn to the black bean and mushroom blend. Mix and cook until heated through.
- Set aside 2 cups for Burrito Stuffed Peppers and 6 cups for Mexican Lasagna.
Nutrition information (per ½ cup serving): 113 calories, 4.5 g fat, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein, 218 mg sodium
Makes 6-8 servings
- Approx. 6 cups Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend
- 16 yellow corn tortillas
- 1 -2 cups shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray bottom of an 9X13 baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 4 corn tortillas on bottom of baking dish and layer approx. 2 cups Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend on top; Repeat layers ending with tortillas as top layer. Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until cheese melts and casserole is heated through.
- Top with light sour cream or diced avocado if desired.
Burrito Stuffed Peppers
Makes 4 pepper halves
- 2 cups Plant-powered Black Bean and Beef Blend
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together cooked rice and prepared Plant-Powered Black Bean and Chicken Blend.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spoon blend mixture into each pepper half (approximately ½ cup in each). Sprinkle each pepper with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are softened.
Add additional toppings as desired: Salsa, Cilantro Sour Cream (recipe below), Diced Avocado.
Cilantro Sour Cream Recipe Mix 1 cup low fat sour cream, 6 Tbsps. fresh chopped cilantro and 2 Tbsps. lime juice in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.