Consuming more plant-based foods is good for people and the planet!
If you’re wondering how to add more nutritious plant foods to your meals join Buehler’s Registered Dietitians for a virtual cook-along and learn how to make a delicious, Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend along with 2 simple recipes – Mexican Lasagna and Stuffed Burrito Peppers.
Below you will find the recipes and a shopping list of ingredients you will need to participate. Buehler’s will also be selling this “bundle” of ingredients at our stores April 11 – 17.
The Plant-Powered Cook-Along will be posted on our YouTube channel from April 16 – 25 so you can cook with us when it’s convenient for you.
We can’t wait to share these tasty, healthy dishes with you!
Here’s what you’ll need for the Cook Along!
Ingredient Shopping List:
1 medium yellow onion
2 large red bell peppers
8 oz. crimini mushrooms
1 pound lean ground beef
2 cans (15 oz.) BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained
1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
1 can (11oz.) yellow kernel corn, drained
16 yellow corn tortillas
1 package (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix, 25% less sodium
Light sour cream
2 cups shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
Instant brown rice
Here are the Recipes!
Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend
Make Once – Eat Twice! Blend yields approximately 8 cups which can be used in our Mexican Lasagna and Burrito Stuffed Peppers recipes below.
Prep time: 20 minutes
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 8 oz. crimini mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 2 cans (15 oz.) BUSH’S® Black Beans, drained
- 1 package (1 oz.) taco seasoning mix, 25% less sodium
- 1 can (15 oz.) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (11oz.) yellow kernel corn, drained
- Pulse onion and mushrooms in food processor until coarse texture. Set aside.
- In large frying pan, brown ground beef. Drain fat. Set ground beef aside in separate bowl.
- In same frying pan, heat oil. Add onions and mushrooms from food processor and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until most of the moisture has been released. Add the black beans and mix.
- Add the cooked ground beef, taco seasoning, crushed tomatoes and corn to the black bean and mushroom blend. Mix and cook until heated through.
- Set aside 2 cups for Burrito Stuffed Peppers and 6 cups for Mexican Lasagna.
Nutrition information (per ½ cup serving): 113 calories, 4.5 g fat, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 9 g protein, 218 mg sodium
Makes 6-8 servings
- Approx. 6 cups Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend
- 16 yellow corn tortillas
- 1 -2 cups shredded low-fat Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray bottom of an 9X13 baking dish with vegetable cooking spray. Place 4 corn tortillas on bottom of baking dish and layer approx. 2 cups Plant-Powered Black Bean and Beef Blend on top; Repeat layers ending with tortillas as top layer. Top with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 25 minutes until cheese melts and casserole is heated through.
- Top with light sour cream or diced avocado if desired.
Burrito Stuffed Peppers
Makes 4 pepper halves
- 2 cups Plant-powered Black Bean and Beef Blend
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 1 cup shredded low-fat Mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°F. In a large bowl, mix together cooked rice and prepared Plant-Powered Black Bean and Chicken Blend.
- Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a 9 x 13 baking dish.
- Spoon blend mixture into each pepper half (approximately ½ cup in each). Sprinkle each pepper with 2 tablespoons shredded cheese.
- Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until peppers are softened.
Add additional toppings as desired: Salsa, Cilantro Sour Cream (recipe below), Diced Avocado.
Cilantro Sour Cream Recipe Mix 1 cup low fat sour cream, 6 Tbsps. fresh chopped cilantro and 2 Tbsps. lime juice in small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.