“Buehler’s Fresh Foods would like to thank all of our customers and team members who went above and beyond this year in raising money for our community food banks during the Harvest for Hunger campaign. I’m proud to say that each one of our stores exceeded their goals and raised the most donations ever, since we started the campaign 14 years ago. We thank the Akron Canton Foodbank and their outstanding team who work hard to battle food insecurity every day.” Paul Stefaniuk, Vice President of Operations at Buehler’s Fresh Foods.
Buehler’s Fresh Foods raised $172,488, which translates into 689,952 meals, through our register campaign, fun employee contests, and food bins. Everyone involved in this campaign recognizes the continued struggle for folks to put food on their tables due to the pandemic and how clearly vital the foodbank is to a multitude of families.
The entire Buehler’s team passionately worked together to make this campaign a success for the Foodbanks and all who benefit from their mission.
“Buehler’s Fresh Foods is a one-of-a-kind partner in the regional fight against hunger. Their deep local roots and employee owners bring a sense of community and pride to their outstanding work and generous philanthropy” said Dan Flowers, President and CEO of the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. “Throughout the pandemic, they have been courageous innovators in service that chains across the industry have modeled. At the same time, Buehler’s staff and shoppers have raised an incredible amount of money in support of hunger-relief efforts. When the story of this era in our history is written, the courage, ingenuity and deep sense of community exhibited by this exemplary partner in the fight against hunger will always be in the headlines to us at the Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank. Our deepest respect and thanks to everyone involved in the Harvest for Hunger Campaign at Buehler’s Fresh Foods. “
When asked about how this campaign was different from previous years, Lisa Teuscher, a Service & Facilities Manager, commented, “I believe many people are truly grateful for not having to stress about food; especially given the amount of media coverage that has been given to those struggling due to the ongoing pandemic. This gratitude may have contributed to many people wanting to help others”.
“Our customers were happy to be helping take a bite out of hunger for those affected by the pandemic!”, said Service & Facilities Manager, JoAnne Vrtacnik.
Laurie Adrian, a Buehler’s manager, stated, “I believe people are feeling better about getting out as well as peoples’ generous spirit during Covid and helping those in need.”
A few facts about the Foodbank:
- The Akron-Canton Regional Foodbank distributes food and other essential items through its network of more than 500 food pantries, hot meal sites, shelters, children and senior programs and other hunger-relief programs in Carroll, Holmes, Medina, Portage, Stark, Summit, Tuscarawas and Wayne counties.
- The Foodbank’s eight-county region has seen an increase in the number of people facing food insecurity because of COVID-19. Food insecurity affects 1 in 6 individuals and 1 in 4 children.
- The COVID-19 pandemic caused a significant increase in the number of people seeking emergency food assistance. 30 percent of families visiting a pantry within the Foodbank’s network were visiting for the very first time, meaning they’ve never needed to seek help before.
- Distributed the equivalent of 27.4 million meals to the local community in 2020
- Delivered more than 1,000 food orders directly to hunger-relief programs with the help of the Ohio National Guard, saving them valuable time and resources.
- Made more than 12,000 deliveries directly to home-bound families and seniors in need through a cutting-edge partnership with DoorDash, United Way of Summit & Medina and CARE, the Cooperative Assistance & Relief Everywhere, Inc.
Buehler’s Fresh Foods has proudly supported the Akron-Canton Foodbank as a Harvest for Hunger participant for the past fourteen years. We want to do our part to end hunger in each of the communities we serve.
Our partnership with the Akron-Canton Foodbank aligns with our corporate values and goals, hence our continued relationship. We are an organization committed to putting people first and this campaign is all about taking care of people in need in our communities.
About Buehler’s Fresh Foods
Buehler’s Fresh Foods grocery store was founded in 1929 by E.L. Buehler and his wife, Helen. The family moved the business in 1932 to Wooster, and, after four generations, grew to 13 stores serving the northeast Ohio market. In 2017, Buehler’s became an ESOP (employee stock ownership program) with the belief that selling to their own employees was the best way to assure the continuation of the innovative and creative spirit which made the chain a benchmark for independent grocers.
Buehler’s Fresh Foods operates thirteen Buehler’s Fresh Foods supermarkets located in Wooster (2), Orrville, Wadsworth, Medina (2), Ashland, New Philadelphia, Dover, Jackson Township (Canton), Coshocton, Portage Lakes (Green) and Massillon, Ohio.
Buehler’s Fresh Foods is committed to environmentally responsible behavior, local sourcing of product and supporting the communities in which we operate. For more information visit www.buehlers.com.