Select Seafood and Show Your Heart Some Affection
February is Heart Health Month
February is the month of love, and this includes showing yourself a little affection by adopting lifestyle habits that keep your heart healthy and going strong. The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends adopting healthy eating habits, 150 minutes of moderate physical activity every week, and maintaining a healthy weight as guidelines. Heart-healthy eating habits include choosing fruits and vegetables at every meal and snack, adding in nuts and legumes, opting for vegetable oils and lean proteins, and consuming more whole grains.
Seafood Helps Keep Your Heart Healthy
The AHA also recommends eating non-fried fish and seafood more frequently, ideally two times a week. Buehler’s is here to help you achieve this goal, offering a variety of fresh, frozen, and canned options throughout our stores. Consider these Healthy Living tips to add more seafood to your weekly recipe routines:
- Try a new take on family favorites. Seafood fits perfectly into your family’s favorite meals. Try salmon burgers, shrimp stir fry, or shrimp tacos. Add canned tuna to a Caesar salad.
- Seafood at breakfast? Crab and old bay seasoning are amazing in scrambled eggs. Try leftover salmon, pesto, and goat cheese in a Sunday morning frittata.
- Opt for high omega-3 options. Certain types of fat, called omega-3s, are known to positively impact heart health. The best sources of omega-3s are fish like mackerel, trout, tuna, salmon, sardines, anchovies or pollock and shellfish including oysters, crab and mussels.
- Use lean cooking methods. Grilling, baking and broiling are cooking methods that keep fish and seafood lean and aligned with heart-healthy eating habits. If Santa dropped an air fryer under your tree this year, you might want to try our Air Fryer Sweet and Sour Salmon recipe as this kitchen appliance is a great method for lean cooking.
- Learn more. Check out our Ultimate Guide to Buying Seafood and Ultimate Guide to Cooking Seafood for your own master class.
Heart Healthy Seafood Recipes
Seafood = selfcare! Eat something delicious while protecting your heart with these recipes. The American Heart Association recommends two servings of non-fried fish every week for heart health.
Heart disease is 80-90% preventable with a combination of healthy eating habits, exercise and maintaining a healthy weight. Buehler’s is here to help you achieve heart health with tasty products found in all our food departments.